How to Claim Rent on your Taxes & A FREE RESOURCE

If you are one of the over 1.5 million households (3) who rent their home instead of own it, you may qualify to receive the Ontario Trillium Benefit (OTB). “The OTB is the combined payment of the Ontario energy and property tax credit, the Northern Ontario energy credit, and the Ontario sales tax credit” (1). There are some eligibility requirements that must be met, as the purpose of the benefit “to help low- to moderate-income Ontario residents with the sales tax on energy” (2).

In order to claim rent on your taxes, you need an adequate rental receipt signed by your landlord. This can get tricky if you have moved, had multiple apartments in the year, or have a difficult landlord. Here’s what you need to have on the rental receipt in order to be able to properly claim your rent for the OTB:

  • Your landlord’s name and contact information
  • Your Name
  • The address you rented at
  • The dates you lived at that address (period of time you lived there)
  • Total amount of rent you paid for that period
  • Landlord signature & date

All of this information is included in our fillable PDF Rent Receipt form which is available by clicking the button below.

*You will need to download the receipt from the above link and open in Adobe Reader to make it editable.